My husband and I bought a house built in 1908 and have been doing some minor work on it. The house had “popcorn” ceiling in one of the rooms, that we naively removed two weeks ago. Since finishing the project, we’ve been advised that most of that old popcorn ceiling contained asbestos. We did put up plastic, wet the ceiling down to remove the popcorn texture and did a thorough clean-up with wet towels and a shop vac afterwards, but in no way did we take the proper precautions against asbestos. Now we’re worried we released the fibers all over the house.

What should we do next? How can we deal with the fibers that may still be in our home? What is the likelihood we will develop lung problems from this exposure?

I am not an expert on this by any means, but here is a link to the National Cancer Institute’s website, that will give you some information, and hopefully help you out.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

I spent 20 years in the construction industry, and now I am a Respiratory Therapist. Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some level. My guess is that the level of exposure that you had in renovating this house was relatively minor, so I doubt if you have to worry much, but research it more & talk to your doctor if you are worried. Good luck!

Republished by Blog Post Promoter